Friday, November 5, 2010

Grand Island National Recreation Area - October 2010

This was probably one of my shortest trips ever. I wanted to get back to Grand Island before the ferry stopped running for the season but travel and appointments kept my calendar too busy. 

I packed and hoped to get the noon ferry as I had a doctor's appointment in the morning. That would allow me enough time to hike to the north end. Well like most doctor's offices, things take a lot longer than they should. There was no way I was going to make the noon ferry but the afternoon ferry was at 3:30 PM. I almost decided to go somewhere else BUT............I really wanted to go to Grand Island.

Needless to say I was the only backpacker on the ferry and it would be a short trip. I hiked the first two miles thinking I had the place to myself which I love. 

As I rounded the corner by Murray Bay I found about a dozen dogs straining at their chains as they were tied to trees. About a half dozen men and four wheelers were parked in the Murray Bay CG.....it truly wasn't what I was expecting. The men assured me the dogs were harmless and I asked them if they were bear hunting? 

Yessireeee.....my thoughts ran wild.....they asked me where I was camping?....don't know sounded like a good answer. I surely didn't plan to camp near there.

I headed to Trout Bay which was desolate. Had a great evening walking the beach before sundown. 

In the morning I crossed the island to the west shore. Ran into some of the bear hunters at various times and had pleasant conversations. They were checking their bait piles but the dogs were thankfully aboard their four wheelers. I spent some time at Waterfall Beach and Mather Beach before heading back to the last ferry of the season.

It was a good trip even though my trip plans were altered and I surely didn't expect bear hunters but I am still glad I went.

Grand Island 

No comments:

Post a Comment